Friday, February 27, 2004

The Passion of the Christ

The Passion of the Christ

I saw the movie yesterday, and I refuse to see it ever again. Although I felt obligated to see it (what is this felt obligation, anyway? To whom am I obligated?), and although I can now speak from experience rather than hearsay when people ask me about it, my primary reaction is that the blood, plus the appearance of Jesus' flesh turning to ground hamburger at the hands of the flagellators, is obscenely too much and gratuitous, and there are enough non-biblical/artistic license additions (the devil always watching with worms crawling out of his nose, Jesus inventing the idea for tables that you sit at with chairs rather than lie near with pillows) that no one can really claim "it is as it was", if indeed the one who supposedly said that really said that. 'Nuf said. I will not recommend the movie to anyone. Feel free to make up your own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment