Saturday, March 05, 2011

Fiction for 2011

Often I post what I'm planning to read for 2011 in order to goad myself into doing so. I also enjoy hearing what others are reading. Here are some of the novels I definitely plan to read in 2011.


I read True Grit just last weekend, and it inspired me to try and read all of Portis's novels. Similarly, I plan to read Enduring by Donald Harington, another Arkansas novelists.

Two novelists have had a huge influence on my imagination, even if I don't read a ton of them currently. To rectify the situation, I plan to re-read George Eliot's Middlemarch (Oxford World's Classics), and to read, for the first time, Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

In the sci-fi realm, I've been waiting for a new novel from John Scalzi or Charles Stross or David Marusek, but none have been forthcoming. In the meantime, I think I'll take a stab at reading Alastair Reynold's House of Suns . His novels always appeal and I just have yet to sit down with one. Also in the sci-fi realm, a new discover, Jo Walton's Among Others.

No comments:

Post a Comment