Friday, November 30, 2012

The Advent of Wisdom

I've had wisdom on my mind lately. Maybe it's increasing age. Maybe it's the desire to escape from what seems like an overly heavy-handed emphasis on narrative as the way "in" to biblical study. For whatever reason, the biblical concept of wisdom has my attention.

Our Wednesday noon bible study group wants to study Proverbs and wisdom in 2013, so I've been researching some options for study resources. Have had the following four books recommended to me in some way, and wonder if readers of this blog have additional recommendations.








Finally, I've taken an initial stab at meditating on wisdom in an essay for the Journal of Lutheran Ethics. You can read it here:

http://www.elca.org/What-We-Believe/Social-Issues/Journal-of-Lutheran-Ethics/Issues/November-2012/The-Advent-Wisdom-Project.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I've come to appreciate Ben Witherington's Matthew commentary, in which he proposes Jesus as one greater than Solomon, in place of the usual Jesus/Moses comparison. It opens up new ways of understanding Matthew's focus on OT theology.

    ReplyDelete