Wednesday, September 09, 2015

The Categorical Imperative

I've always thought Kant formulated just one categorical imperative, but actually he articulated one imperative in three different formulations. I find all three, and in particular their progression, incredibly appealing, especially in light of our present shift to a secular and plural society.

I

"Act only on that maxim which I can at the same time will as a universal law."

II

So act as to treat humanity, whether in my own self or in that of another, always as an end, and never as a means only."

III

"Every rational being must so act as if s/he were by their maxims in every case a legislating member of the universal kingdom of ends."

Try it out. Test these against any number of Bright Shiny Objects of the present moment, and see how they stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment