Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Soteriology

The Pastor-Theologian Program of the Center for Theological Inquiry, of which I am a participant member for the next three years, is centering thought and reading for us for the next year on the topic of of soteriology. The subject for the year is actually "Jesus Christ Savior and the Human Condition". Our central biblical text is, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16, RSV). And the organizing question is: How do you as a theologian of the Church think and believe that Jesus is to be presented as Savior in preaching, teaching, and pastoral care?

My intention over the course of the next year with this blog is to use it as a journal for reflection on this topic. The goal is the production of essays and other works for publication, including but not limited to theological pieces for journals, essayistic work that might find its way into more secular or popular journals, interviews, miscellanies, etc. I am still inviting other writers to journey with me in posting here, but I will not use the blog as a clearing house for random references to web discoveries, etc., nor will I spend any time on topics other than those that find themselves within that (already rather large) constellation we call soteriology.

Furthermore, since I'm the moderator, though I certainly will invite the participation of conversation partners from other denoms, I'm keeping the name Lutheran Confessions.

To readers of the blog: If you'd like to join the discussion and write for the blog, drop me a line in the comments. If you discover readings and resources on the soteriology topic, please also drop notes, comments, etc. into a comment box.

To other Pastor-Theologians: It may be the case that we will have other venues for joint theological work, but if you are interested, please let me know if you'd like to write for the blog, and I'll send you an invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment