Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Psalm 46:10

Psa. 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth.”

I'm not alone in running frantic. Often busy, trying to parent and pastor and live at a pace set by some pacesetter I don't even know, I run a race that I see many others running as well.

Some even run more frantically than I. Some I don't even know how they do what they do, how they fit it all into one day.

I would be alone, or at least close to alone, if I actually followed God's command to be still. Paused and idled, lots of things (this is imagined) would race by.

But it is in being still that we know God as God. Stillness here is prerequisite to hearing and knowing God as exalted over the whole earth.

It is in being still that we even take time to observe the earth, or pray for the nations. To turn in a new direction, there must be that moment of stillness, however brief, when we go neither one way or the other.

And then the rest is God's Spirit, and we fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment