Sunday, September 23, 2012

Best Albums of 2012

Top of the heap: 

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals -- The Lion The Beast The Beat
Hands down my favorite rock album of the year. It's the first album I've ever purchased as an LP.

Father John Misty -- Fear Fun
Highly memorable gentle indie rock sound.

Rachel Kurtz -- Broken and Lowdown
This is Rachel's break-out album, great mix of blues and rock and gospel and more.

Otis Taylor -- Contraband
This is like "trance" blues. Highly memorable and unique.

Rodrigo y Gabriela -- Area 52
I have rarely if ever heard a guitar duo with such chops, intensity, and musicality.

Calexico -- Algiers
My favorite ambient rock group, and this one recorded in Algiers across from New Orleans.

There were so many absolutely fantastic albums that came out this year, I list the rest without ranking, simply indicating a set of albums I think are worth a listen.

The XX -- Coexist
An experiment in how spare you can make rock.
Sleigh Bells -- Fear Fun
When you are ready to bang your head and dance.
Leonard Cohen -- Old Ideas
Cohen keeps bringing it. 
The Shins -- Port of Morrow
I end up in Shins mood once a month or so. This is a great installment.
Jonathan Rundman -- self-titled
A collection of 20 of his best songs. If you've never heard Rundman, start here.
Cloud Nothings -- Attack on Memory
Grungy greatness. Loud and in your face.
Grimes -- Visions
Huh. I don't know how to describe it, but I like it.
Metric -- Synthetica Reflections
Synth pop to groove to.
The Avett Brothers -- The Carpenter
Great story telling southern rootsrock.
Dr. Dog -- Be the Void
The hardest working rock band there is. If you've never heard them, you have to.
Laura Veirs -- Tumble Bee (children's)
This is a lovely children's album. Great for the parents too.
Fun. -- Some Nights
What a voice. Poppy goodness.
THEESatisfaction -- awE naturalE
Cosmic math rap. Yes, that's what I said. 

Still on the way (but much anticipated):

Rickie Lee Jones
Mumford and Sons
deadmau5

2 comments:

  1. Hospitality (self-title). Be the void is an amazing album too.

    Caveat though: if Mumford & Sons' new album is as good as their first it will probably blow away any best album list I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephen. I'm listening to it now. Also, I just realized I left Rush's new steampunk album off the list. That one is on repeated play in my car for long drives.

    ReplyDelete