Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Whose Church is it anyways?

I don't know how to make all those fancy bold letters and stuff or make titles that actually appear on my posts so bear with me here... the title of this post is Whose Church is it anyways?

My issue with the evangelical catholic movement is that it is a movement towards the Catholic structure and not a truely evangelical movement of the Catholic Church towards the confessing churches. This bears out when I get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach in the discussion of the magesterium and of human authority particularly in the position of pope. You see I can't get around one fact, and I truly am open to hearing more about this, but you see as far as I can see this Church belongs to Christ and to Christ alone. Why do I say that? Because I had nothing to do with it's purchase... it was Christ's body and blood that paid for it... as soon as human beings start messing around with issues of authority, who gets to do what, etc. etc. it seems that we are once again dethroning Christ and pretending like this church is ours and not His.

In essence, I truly believe that institutions shackle the Gospel and de-radicalize it. We cannot begin to deal with the ramifications of Christ's teachings say on the outsider, the leper, the last shall be first, etc. etc. Instead we put on gold robes and pectoral crosses and use those symbols to pretend to an authority that isn't truly ours.

I want to engage on this but it seems to me you all are on your way back to Rome and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment