Thursday, July 26, 2007

Little Heathens



While I have been somewhat excited to read the new Harry Potter, it is this book that really caught my attention. First of all, I'm not sure I've ever read a book where the author has the same name as my grandma. Second, I am from Iowa. Place in literature is always a draw for me. Third, I sit and talk quite regularly with folks who remember living through the Great Depression, and Little Heathens portrays this period and life in Iowa with a beauty and precision that matches the oral histories I've heard over the years. So it is joyous to sit this summer and read such a book.

1 comment:

  1. I read a glowing review of this book in the New York Times and have been toying with reading this book.

    so many books! So little time!

    ReplyDelete