Friday, August 05, 2011

A provocative narrative thesis on how Lutherans think about evangelical campus ministry

My first day of college, I was reading a fantasy novel in the Dragonlance series quietly in my room. My RA, a Campus Crusader, stopped in, and dropped this line, "Well you know, garbage in garbage out." I've always remembered it, and developed a fairly substantial theological architecture for refuting it. 


I think the hermeneutical divide is wide and deep between us, almost to the point of something like Lessing's ugly broad ditch. Nevertheless and in spite of this failure at Horizontverschmelzung, I think the only way forward is engagement, in the form of a paradoxical combination of humility and Lutheran swagger.


Which is, actually, one of the main reasons I'm now a Lutheran pastor in Fayetteville, Arkansas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment